Aggressive Criminal

Helping a loved one suffering from addiction who does not want help

On Behalf of | Criminal Defense, Drug crimes |

It is common for people, young and old, who suffer from addiction to deny they have a problem and refuse treatment. Sometimes, this can go on for years, leaving family members feeling hopeless and disheartened.

In these cases, there are some things you can do. In addition to contacting mental health resources to learn more about ways to support your loved one, you can also use certain services that Denton County and other places offer for these situations.

Involuntary mental health commitment services

If you know your loved one is experiencing a crisis, call 911. Request a Mental Health Evaluation and let them know your loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis.

Denton County Mental Health Court is a division of the County’s probate court, and it handles involuntary mental health commitments for county residents. An attorney who understand how this works can assist you in submitting all paperwork on your behalf.

Families can pursue placement for their loved ones by applying through Denton County’s District Attorney’s Office. While it is not an easy process, it is undoubtedly worthwhile if your family member is experiencing a mental health crisis and needs help.

The process, in general terms, is as follows:

  • Read the filing instructions provided in the application packet
  • Fill out and submit the application for mental health services
  • Submit a physician’s Certificate of Medical Examination on behalf of the patient no later than three days prior to submitting the application with the court. Without this certificate, the application will be denied.
  • If the proposed patient is an adult and cannot afford the fees associated with the filing process, you can submit an affidavit of indigence, which you must notarize and submit to the court.

What happens if the application is approved?

If your application is approved, your family member will be treated at the North Texas State Hospital, an inpatient facility. If you prefer that your family member attend a private treatment facility, you must request a bed letter from the facility and submit that to the court before any court hearings related to the patient’s placement.

Handle with care

It is critical to approach these situations carefully and withhold judgment. Your loved one will likely feel defensive, and it is vital, especially during these times, that you respond in a loving, supportive manner no matter how they react, knowing that their reaction may not be a positive one at first because, after all, they did not want help to begin with.

However, many people do not understand the dangers of addiction. Depending on the substance that your family member is addicted to, addictions can be fatal. For this reason, Denton County provides these services to its residents.