Aggressive Criminal

Underage drinking could lead to trouble for parents of teens

On Behalf of | Criminal Defense |

Parents of teenagers know that they’re going to make mistakes during their childhood. They might drink with friends when they’re underage or try a new drug that they shouldn’t.

In many cases, the one-off event isn’t serious and can be handled privately. Unfortunately, there are also times when minors end up causing serious problems for their parents because of their behaviors.

Providing alcohol to a minor

Parents need to be cautious about providing alcohol to minors. Just making alcohol available to them is a class A misdemeanor, even if making it available may not have been intentional. That charge comes with fines of up to $4,000 and could result in a jail sentence, too. An adult’s license has the potential to be suspended upon conviction, as does the minor’s.

Remember that these penalties are only the criminal and civil penalties that a parent or minor could face.  There are also other consequences to be concerned about, such as:

  • Problems with the school district
  • Financial costs associated with alcohol awareness training
  • License suspensions
  • Career and work consequences from an arrest, charges or conviction

Parents do need to take steps to prevent others from providing alcohol to their children. They also need to take action and prevent their own children from taking alcohol from the home or drinking it and driving.

What do parents need to do if their children have gotten in trouble for possessing alcohol?

If your child gets into trouble for possessing or drinking alcohol, you do need to take steps to defend them and to defend yourself depending on the circumstances of the case. While some cases will only have a potential impact on your child, others could impact your freedoms as well.

Don’t be afraid to look for assistance for your case

You may need assistance with school disciplinary hearings, the juvenile court system and other issues that arise because of your teen’s actions. It’s not a bad idea to talk to an attorney or other legal professional to learn more about your rights and how you can help protect yourself, your child and both of your freedoms in the future.